This movie is based on the Japanese TV series, Liar Game. Liar Game is a fictional game which involves the art of deception. In the game, participants tried to cheat their way to earning millions, and those failing to do so (aka got cheated), will have a debt equivalent to their losses, which they must pay, without failure, to the LGT (organisers of the game). Season 1 of the TV series shows participants competing in Round 1 to Round 3 of the game. Season 2, Round 4 and semifinal. The movie, final stage as the name suggests. Watching the first 2 seasons of Liar Game before watching the movie will certainly help you understand some little details, but it is not necessary to understand the movie. In fact, the movie is exactly like how the TV episodes are filmed- like a 2 hour special. Since the movie is just like another TV episode, I'd comment on Liar Game as a whole.
I thought there was way too much hype over it then it deserved. Liar Game is all about mind games and a foolish girl's dream for "world peace", or Utopia, whatever, a place where everybody can live happily ever after, no lies, no cheating, faith and trust. What I like about LG is that some of the tricks they used in the games are pretty cool and sometimes fun. What I did not like, is that the tricks are kind of predictable, sometimes too obvious to the point where I feel like they are constantly dropping hints. If I made the effort to think about those hints, it wouldn't be hard to pull off an Akiyama. What I really really hate, is Kanzaki Nao's pure stupidity. Seriously, she should wake up her idea. If not for "heavenly intervention" (aka scriptwriters), she would have lost long ago, carrying the burden of everyone's debt. Yet now suddenly she's like an angel who came down from heaven to save mankind. Kanzaki Nao annoys me. I wish this character is killed off. Just like Tweety Bird.
3 stars

No comments:
Post a Comment