Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A Special Birthday + some reflections

Another year has passed. Another birthday yet again... Many thanks to all who wished me happy birthday. =)

Last Sunday, my parents asked me where I wanted to go for dinner for my birthday dinner. Suddenly felt like eating porridge so I requested for the taiwan porridge at Oasis. Dad used to bring us there to eat when we were younger. Pity it has moved to Toa Payoh Hub because the old place at The Oasis was really cosy and it had a good view of the Kallang River and cityscape.


Ordered 7 dishes and the bill came up to be $90+. It's really ex for porridge and sides but I really like the food there.



Kh drove to my house to pick me up today. (His parents went to Hokkaido for a holiday so he got to use the car.) We were on our way to Vivo for lunch when the car's tire went flat. -_-" However, I'm kind of glad that it happened because we've learnt so much today. Okay I know it's crazy to think like that, but I just like to be independent and all.

***Sidetrack a bit***
Just last week, I asked my mum if I could drive to malaysia and it was a straight no, on the basis that its too dangerous and I'm not familiar with the roads there, and we need at least an adult with us. I was like,"I AM an adult." See, this is why I wanna grow up so badly. This is why I appreciate such "sway" experiences like today. People don't see a 22year old as an adult. I hate that. So much for "21 is the key to freedom and adulthood". These things are part of life and everyone has to go through it someday. It's a matter of WHEN. Don't you think it's better to learn now then later? If you are scared of everything, you'll never learn anything, and you'll forever be dependent on others. Doesn't that make you a pretty useless person? But parents will always be like that. I just need to find the opportunity to learn these things on my own, and prove to them that there is no cause of worry. =/
***End of sidetrack***

So Kh had a flat tire. But it was okay because he knows how to change tires.

About a month ago, I was driving along the road when suddenly I saw a huge wooden plank in the middle of the road. I swerved a bit to try to avoid that plank but instead, rolled over it and it punctured the tire really badly. There was a huge cut on the tire and I had to stop immediately by the roadside. I was with my mum, sis and Kh then and none of us knew how to change a tire. Called dad up, and he immediately came over to where we were and helped us change the tire. Because of that incident, Kh had the opportunity to learn from my dad the technique of changing tires.

And today, Kh had the chance to try changing the tire on his own and he did it well. I'm soo proud of him. Haha. It's like how many guys at the age of 22 know how to change tires? Kh thinks its not exactly a good thing that he knows. Probaby shows how "sway" he is. I guess shit happens but they do happen for a reason. Sometimes, this is God's way of guiding. Just like today. If it weren't for that time, Kh wouldn't know how to change a tire. So I'm really glad it happened. "God works in mysterious ways". How true. =)

Kh at work!



I called my dad up to ask about what to do after this. Was asking him if there will be any complications like insurance claims, and he was like,"Punctured tire only, how can claim insurance?!", like it was the most ridiculous thing he ever heard. Turns out that it only costs $5 to repair the hole in the tire (caused by an industrial staple). -_-" Okay, I didn't know that? I thought it'll cost like $80 to change the tire. I didn't know you can actually repair them. =x


So after that we headed to Coffee Club for lunch. Why there? Cuz that's the first place that came to our minds. Again, God is so good to me. While waiting for our food, I told Kh jokingly,"No cake to eat this year." And he wanted to order a slice for me. Just then, he saw an advertisement on the table which says that all UOB cardholders get a free 500g cake + 10% discount off total bill on their birthday. Kh and I are regulars at Coffee Club and we've never seen them having such a promotion, so we were like "wow".


Garlic Prawn Spaghetti


Slipper Lobster Linguini




Then he asked the manager about it, and the manager said that you have to book the cake 3 days in advance. And he asked if we could reserve now and collect it another day. And the manager said can. Then she asked me to go choose a cake and I chose Mango Mousse. She said okay. But after awhile, she came to me again and she said she'd made a mistake. For the birthday special, the cake is Strawberry Shortcake, so I can't actually choose the cake. Then I said okay strawberry shortcake then. And she was very apologetic about it, so she offered me a free slice of strawberry shortcake to try. But she came back again and said there is no strawberry shortcake available today, and she offered me the mango mousse I initially wanted instead. So in summary, today, I went to Coffee Club to have lunch. Just lunch. But I ended up having a free slice of mango mousse which was very very very good, a free 500g strawberry shortcake, and a 10% discount off total bill. Is this a blessing or what? I think it's God's birthday present for me! Man, that mango mousse is so nice, I'm going back for more!


Oh-so-yummy. Usual price $4.50 for this tiny slice.



After which, we went to watch a movie, and shopping! Kh bought a $130 leather bag from ALDO which was exactly what he wanted. He's been looking for one for ages. Now he's so happy, he says he isn't going to shop anymore as that bag will satisfy him for a really long time. -_-" I also bought myself a white dress from F21 to wear for my sis' wedding. Cost me 63bucks. I guess it's alright cuz it's a really really nice dress!

Then we're off to dinner at Kazu. It's this really expensive Japanese restaurant at Cuppage Plaza which offers bbq food on skewers. More expensive and much better than Shin Kushiya. Well, not surprising seeing how many japanese restaurants there are in that place. =/ I didn't get to take photos of the food as I was told the boss doesn't really like people doing that. So here's what I managed to shoot.



Appetiser: Raw Cabbage (to be eaten with sauce) Very fresh!

Our bill... $89.15 for 2 persons. *chokes*



I was just saying that I had no cake to eat this birthday, and God gave me LOTS of cake to eat today. Went home after dinner and received a cake from Gerrie. Banana Chocolate cake from Secret Recipe. It was so large I couldn't finish.


This year's birthday is nothing glamourous like last year's, but it was nevertheless very special. I thank all who have helped to make this day a wonderful experience. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment