Ya know just let me rant a bit here...
Work at the cafe is much better now due to new rules that have improved coordination between staff. Also, CY recently became the new IC, and I like that because it's great working with him. He's very responsible, very understanding, helpful, and reasonable. However, the customers these days aren't too great...
For the past few shifts, I haven't had any customers whom I can chat and play games with. Most of them are picky and demanding, and some, pretty rude.
Just today, I had to entertain a few not-so-nice customers. One group kept requesting refills as they were on freeflow package. When I served them the drinks, immediately one person said,"Ay drink finish one cup first." Hello, I know it's freeflow, you can drink all you want, but ya know we're all really busy so can't you just wait awhile?
Then I had to entertain another table of people who are definitely not out to make my life easier. They kept requesting for games, and asked me to teach. And everytime I finish teaching a game, they would request for a change of game. And what, I just spent the last few mins talking for nothing? It's not easy to teach games, fyi. People don't understand. You gotta PLAY the game in order to understand it better and appreciate it. I won't say there are any boring games. It's a matter of how FUN it is. By changing games all the time, you're not only wasting MY time, you're wasting YOUR time. And YOUR money too.
Another table of guys were staring at the menu for ages. After some time, I went over and asked them."Can I take your order?" And they just ignored me like I wasn't there! Finally, one guy said,"Give us a few minutes." Okay, yeah say so earlier. I was standing there like some fool, talking to the wall.
Those 3 tables mentioned above, they're not very nice, but I can let it go. I can't expect everyone to be nice right? Now this 4th table of guys, they were pushing it too far. Ya know I always ask customers if they've any game request or any preferences before I recommend them a game. So, if you say anything, I'll give you anything. Please do not complain.
This group of guys asked me to give them some games that guys like. I said,"Guys like to play strategy games. I'll get some strategy games for you okay?" And they were like nodding their heads. So I got them a few games, and among those they chose Allambra. Then when I was teaching it to them, one guy kept complaining that it's so difficult. I explained that it's a very simple game and you'll find it very fun when you know how to play it. Then, one girl came in to join them and another guy was like,"You can take my place." And he looked like he didn't want to play. But other guys seemed quite interested so I continued. Finally, when I was about to finish teaching that game, he said,"This game is pissing me off." I said,"Do you want to change game?" And he was like,"Yes, it's part and parcel of your job." Oh so freak'in rude. Hello? You guys chose this game. If you don't want it, say so earlier. What was that tone for?
I complained to CY, and CY was pretty shocked at what they said. Ya know, sometimes we'd give discounts to nice customers. And obviously those guys didn't get it. They weren't informed of the 10% discount everyone else got either. CY said,"That 10% discount is a privilege, not an entitlement."
Allambra is only a very moderate difficulty strategy game. I love that game. So I'd wanna share it with people. When this group of guys came in, I thought,"Great, finally I can teach some good strategy games." Well, sorry if I overestimated your intelligence.
It's a pity most people do not appreciate good games. It's a greater pity that some do not appreciate any games at all. Hello, if you're not interested in playing any games, do not come. When you come, it's because you wanna have fun. Do not come and sulk and complain. Be nice to us, and we'll be nice to you too.
When I came as a customer, I thought the service there was terrible. But I DID NOT make demands, I DID NOT sit there waiting to be served all the time, I DID NOT leave the games lying around in a mess waiting for someone to clear it for me, and I DID NOT complain about the games all the time. I always pick games myself, thank the person who taught me, pack the games and put them back into the shelves myself after I've finished playing. Even if it's a long game that's hard to learn and doesn't seem very fun at first, I'd always give it a try. Ya know people spent so much effort teaching you, at least give them some face right?
Sad to say, most of the really really fun games are those that people rarely play. It's mostly us staff who play them. Because, we're the few people who really really know how to appreciate good games, and who have the passion for gaming.
I don't have anything against people who love brainless games. Brainless games are fun too, but why not give other games a try too? You don't know what you're missing out on. I can tell you, one of my fave games of all time is St.Petersburg. It's one of the hardest board game to teach because of the many details, yet, it's very fun, very intellectual, and every single time you play it's different. You can never use the same strategy to win. It doesn't work. That's the beauty of a great, award-winning game man. Who wants to try? I can teach you. I've got a set at home. =)
Work at the cafe is much better now due to new rules that have improved coordination between staff. Also, CY recently became the new IC, and I like that because it's great working with him. He's very responsible, very understanding, helpful, and reasonable. However, the customers these days aren't too great...
For the past few shifts, I haven't had any customers whom I can chat and play games with. Most of them are picky and demanding, and some, pretty rude.
Just today, I had to entertain a few not-so-nice customers. One group kept requesting refills as they were on freeflow package. When I served them the drinks, immediately one person said,"Ay drink finish one cup first." Hello, I know it's freeflow, you can drink all you want, but ya know we're all really busy so can't you just wait awhile?
Then I had to entertain another table of people who are definitely not out to make my life easier. They kept requesting for games, and asked me to teach. And everytime I finish teaching a game, they would request for a change of game. And what, I just spent the last few mins talking for nothing? It's not easy to teach games, fyi. People don't understand. You gotta PLAY the game in order to understand it better and appreciate it. I won't say there are any boring games. It's a matter of how FUN it is. By changing games all the time, you're not only wasting MY time, you're wasting YOUR time. And YOUR money too.
Another table of guys were staring at the menu for ages. After some time, I went over and asked them."Can I take your order?" And they just ignored me like I wasn't there! Finally, one guy said,"Give us a few minutes." Okay, yeah say so earlier. I was standing there like some fool, talking to the wall.
Those 3 tables mentioned above, they're not very nice, but I can let it go. I can't expect everyone to be nice right? Now this 4th table of guys, they were pushing it too far. Ya know I always ask customers if they've any game request or any preferences before I recommend them a game. So, if you say anything, I'll give you anything. Please do not complain.
This group of guys asked me to give them some games that guys like. I said,"Guys like to play strategy games. I'll get some strategy games for you okay?" And they were like nodding their heads. So I got them a few games, and among those they chose Allambra. Then when I was teaching it to them, one guy kept complaining that it's so difficult. I explained that it's a very simple game and you'll find it very fun when you know how to play it. Then, one girl came in to join them and another guy was like,"You can take my place." And he looked like he didn't want to play. But other guys seemed quite interested so I continued. Finally, when I was about to finish teaching that game, he said,"This game is pissing me off." I said,"Do you want to change game?" And he was like,"Yes, it's part and parcel of your job." Oh so freak'in rude. Hello? You guys chose this game. If you don't want it, say so earlier. What was that tone for?
I complained to CY, and CY was pretty shocked at what they said. Ya know, sometimes we'd give discounts to nice customers. And obviously those guys didn't get it. They weren't informed of the 10% discount everyone else got either. CY said,"That 10% discount is a privilege, not an entitlement."
Allambra is only a very moderate difficulty strategy game. I love that game. So I'd wanna share it with people. When this group of guys came in, I thought,"Great, finally I can teach some good strategy games." Well, sorry if I overestimated your intelligence.
It's a pity most people do not appreciate good games. It's a greater pity that some do not appreciate any games at all. Hello, if you're not interested in playing any games, do not come. When you come, it's because you wanna have fun. Do not come and sulk and complain. Be nice to us, and we'll be nice to you too.
When I came as a customer, I thought the service there was terrible. But I DID NOT make demands, I DID NOT sit there waiting to be served all the time, I DID NOT leave the games lying around in a mess waiting for someone to clear it for me, and I DID NOT complain about the games all the time. I always pick games myself, thank the person who taught me, pack the games and put them back into the shelves myself after I've finished playing. Even if it's a long game that's hard to learn and doesn't seem very fun at first, I'd always give it a try. Ya know people spent so much effort teaching you, at least give them some face right?
Sad to say, most of the really really fun games are those that people rarely play. It's mostly us staff who play them. Because, we're the few people who really really know how to appreciate good games, and who have the passion for gaming.
I don't have anything against people who love brainless games. Brainless games are fun too, but why not give other games a try too? You don't know what you're missing out on. I can tell you, one of my fave games of all time is St.Petersburg. It's one of the hardest board game to teach because of the many details, yet, it's very fun, very intellectual, and every single time you play it's different. You can never use the same strategy to win. It doesn't work. That's the beauty of a great, award-winning game man. Who wants to try? I can teach you. I've got a set at home. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment