Kh and I finally made a trip down to Settlers today for the Ladies' Night special. I've heard of it some years back but never got round to visiting that place. It was Leonard who reminded me of such a place (thanks! =) ), and now I've found myself a new hangout! Yes, I'm a boardgame fanatic, if you don't already know.
For those who've never heard of Settlers, it's a boardgame cafe. Here's the website!
Ladies' Night special cost $6/lady and $9/gentleman for free flow drinks and games from 7pm-11pm. It is the best deal they have there (I think), and it coincides with our rest day (Thursday, also our rollerblading day =D ). The 2 of us ordered main courses along with the special package and we ended up with a total bill of $28. We decided that we should have our dinner first before we go there next time. Yes, we're cheapskate people. Only because we're poor. T_T
The food was quite good and the variety of games, well, enough to please us. =) We played Hotel, St. Petersburg, Fire & Ice, and Lost Cities today. Previously, I was planning to buy the St. Petersburg boardgame on Ebay, but wasn't quite sure if I should. Kh had his first taste of St. Petersburg today, and he reckons that we should go ahead and buy it. It's worth it cuz it ain't that expensive, and it's a game where you can keep playing and won't get sick of it. =)
Hotel, ahh, a game I love so much yet almost extinct now. Well, I might consider buying the Las Vegas Edition which is on sale at Ebay for a not-so-cheap price.
The crew was helpful in answering our questions and facilitating the games, though I wish that some of them would be more spontaneous in their service.
Amy asked,"Just the 2 of you?" Yeah, I like it this way. Some wonder if it's any fun at all for 2 people to play boardgames. More people more fun right? Well, not necessarily true. 2 people means emotional freedom. I don't get bogged down by excuses and latecomers, and I get to play more games. 2 people is great fun, and I'm not saying that I'll rule out a bigger group.
(*starts ranting*)
Having said that, I must admit that Kh and I do not like to organise outings anymore. In fact, we'll try to avoid doing so if we can. It's frustrating when people keep giving empty promises and lame excuses. They'd tell you,"Sounds great! I'll be there," then, at the last hour, they'll say,"Sorry I can't make it." I can totally understand if it's due to important reasons, but more often than not, "sorry I can't make it" is just another lame excuse for not being able to honor their word.
Well, if you weren't that interested in the first place, you should've told us so. Why do some people love to give us that tinge of hope, then crush it all in one single SMS? Is it fun to disappoint people? Is it cool to be so irresponsible and inconsiderate? "But I'm sorry!" Well, "sorry" is one of the most overused word in the English language. If you're truly sorry, you would come and stop giving us lame excuses. If you're truly sorry, you wouldn't have given those empty promises to irritate and disappoint us. As Kh would say,"Ai jiu ai, mai jiu mai." Why must ai mai ai mai then in the end mai? We not so free to play with you can? We don't need you to be there. We just want honest answers.
When I send out mass smses asking those who want to come to reply, some reply and don't come. Some don't reply and come. Some would say,"I'll only come if so and so is going." Only few would actually reply and come (and I'm thankful for them). To those people who say "I'll only come if so-so is going", we say heck it. If that's the only thing you're interested in, then don't come.
I'm not pointing at any particular person who reads this, because I must admit, sometimes I do unintentionally send out messages of false hope, but I'll always try to be aware of that. It's the people who are constantly making empty promises/empty talk that gets to me. People who are all talk no action.
(*ends rants*)
Yes, back to my day at Settlers... I'm looking forward to more boardgame fun in the weeks to come. =)
For those who've never heard of Settlers, it's a boardgame cafe. Here's the website!
Ladies' Night special cost $6/lady and $9/gentleman for free flow drinks and games from 7pm-11pm. It is the best deal they have there (I think), and it coincides with our rest day (Thursday, also our rollerblading day =D ). The 2 of us ordered main courses along with the special package and we ended up with a total bill of $28. We decided that we should have our dinner first before we go there next time. Yes, we're cheapskate people. Only because we're poor. T_T
The food was quite good and the variety of games, well, enough to please us. =) We played Hotel, St. Petersburg, Fire & Ice, and Lost Cities today. Previously, I was planning to buy the St. Petersburg boardgame on Ebay, but wasn't quite sure if I should. Kh had his first taste of St. Petersburg today, and he reckons that we should go ahead and buy it. It's worth it cuz it ain't that expensive, and it's a game where you can keep playing and won't get sick of it. =)
Hotel, ahh, a game I love so much yet almost extinct now. Well, I might consider buying the Las Vegas Edition which is on sale at Ebay for a not-so-cheap price.
The crew was helpful in answering our questions and facilitating the games, though I wish that some of them would be more spontaneous in their service.
Amy asked,"Just the 2 of you?" Yeah, I like it this way. Some wonder if it's any fun at all for 2 people to play boardgames. More people more fun right? Well, not necessarily true. 2 people means emotional freedom. I don't get bogged down by excuses and latecomers, and I get to play more games. 2 people is great fun, and I'm not saying that I'll rule out a bigger group.
(*starts ranting*)
Having said that, I must admit that Kh and I do not like to organise outings anymore. In fact, we'll try to avoid doing so if we can. It's frustrating when people keep giving empty promises and lame excuses. They'd tell you,"Sounds great! I'll be there," then, at the last hour, they'll say,"Sorry I can't make it." I can totally understand if it's due to important reasons, but more often than not, "sorry I can't make it" is just another lame excuse for not being able to honor their word.
Well, if you weren't that interested in the first place, you should've told us so. Why do some people love to give us that tinge of hope, then crush it all in one single SMS? Is it fun to disappoint people? Is it cool to be so irresponsible and inconsiderate? "But I'm sorry!" Well, "sorry" is one of the most overused word in the English language. If you're truly sorry, you would come and stop giving us lame excuses. If you're truly sorry, you wouldn't have given those empty promises to irritate and disappoint us. As Kh would say,"Ai jiu ai, mai jiu mai." Why must ai mai ai mai then in the end mai? We not so free to play with you can? We don't need you to be there. We just want honest answers.
When I send out mass smses asking those who want to come to reply, some reply and don't come. Some don't reply and come. Some would say,"I'll only come if so and so is going." Only few would actually reply and come (and I'm thankful for them). To those people who say "I'll only come if so-so is going", we say heck it. If that's the only thing you're interested in, then don't come.
I'm not pointing at any particular person who reads this, because I must admit, sometimes I do unintentionally send out messages of false hope, but I'll always try to be aware of that. It's the people who are constantly making empty promises/empty talk that gets to me. People who are all talk no action.
(*ends rants*)
Yes, back to my day at Settlers... I'm looking forward to more boardgame fun in the weeks to come. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment