Okay I'm having trouble remembering which movie is which since they are quite similar. Will start with TOW...
The Other Guys(The one with Will Ferrell) Will Ferrell cracks me up everytime. The Other Guys is a typical "underdogs win" movie. Stupid and timid cops triumphing over stupid and attention-seeking cops. The plot is pretty lame and stupid but the humour makes up for all the flaws.
3.5 stars
Takers(The one with Hayden Christensen) When it comes to movies about bank robberies, I actually like to see the bad guys triumph. I'll want to see them break into a super high-profile bank and not get caught, and I'll want to be impressed by their complex strategies/techniques. Takers is another bank robbery story about a group of professional bank robbers who after a string of success, meet with trouble, and how their lives pretty much go downhill from there. How unfortunate. The starting scene on how they carry out a bank robbery wasn't impressive, and the ending equally dull. Everything else in between are what I call "fillers". They're just there to waste time.
3 stars
The Town(The one with Ben Affleck) Another movie about bank robbery. Another bank robbery gone wrong. It feels kind of cliche already. In this movie, Ben Affleck's character falls for a hostage they took at a bank robbery. At least, this bit is unseen in Takers, which makes this movie more interesting. As the story unfolds, this hostage comes to realise the truth of her boyfriend's identity, and we, the audience, are left to wonder if she's on his side or not. I'll say the story is pretty exciting.
3.5 stars

The American
(The one with George Clooney) I would consider this a bit of an arty farty film. Though it involves guns, there isn't much action. Much of the tone is set in melancholy, much like that in The Pianist, as George Clooney (Jack) tries to retire as an assassin and start a new life, while still having to live with the heart-thumping memory of nearly being killed. George Clooney, not so cool as an assassin after all. Unlike The Pianist, which has historical value, The American is just a made up story which seriously bores me.
2.5 stars

No comments:
Post a Comment