Sunday, December 31, 2006

My movie blog!

Movie Rating Guidelines
1-2.5 stars: Seriously a waste of time. Zzz Only watch it if you have nothing better to do.
3 stars: Very ordinary. Nothing special but OK to watch if you've $$ to spare.
3.5 stars: A little better than ordinary movies. Worth watching.
4 stars: A must-watch!
4.5-5 stars: No $$ also must watch!!!



Curse of the Golden Flower
This is like The Banquet. You almost can't tell the 2 films apart. Except that Jay Chou is in this movie and not the other, (Everyone would giggle whenever he appears on screen. I wonder why.) and Gong Li instead of Zhang Ziyi (which btw, isn't any different to me because they both look sooo alike). There was a lot of brutality. Okay maybe this is a spoiler but the king killed everybody. There was no one left except himself in the family tree. You just wonder what's the whole point of it all, and if China was indeed anything like that in the past (I highly doubt so). There wasn't even any suspense. Zhang Yimou doesn't seem to have new ideas!
3 stars

Night at the Museum
Uh, I watched this some time back but was sooo lazy to even blog about it. Guess everyone must've watched it already by now. =X Anywayz I think the funniest part is when he flick the little man off his shoulder. I was laughing like crazy lah. Quite funny though some parts are kinda boring. I watched the trailer so many thousands of times, it was like nothing new.
3.5 stars

Eragon
If I'm not wrong, this should be the first part of a trilogy. It's only 1hr plus long though. I like the idea of dragons and dragon riders. The dragon looks sooo cute when it just hatched! Really wanted to watch Deck the Halls but it isn't available at GV Marina. Nvm, this is not a bad movie either, although definitely not as good as LOTR.
4 stars

The Holiday
I think this movie will put anyone in a holiday mood! It has a rather unusual yet realistic plot. It gives hope to those who are out of love, and makes one wonder about the possibilities of such things happening to oneself. Kh likes it so much, he's giving it 4 stars. Hmm, I'm not really sure how much I like it, but it's definitely nice to watch. 3.7 stars? >_<
4 stars.

Deja Vu
At first I thought this movie is kinda cool, cuz it touches on a topic that everyone is curious about. After watching it, I think it's more like time machine crap. Guy goes back to the past via a time machine and saves girl and they fall in love. *yawn* I was falling asleep. Almost as complicating as The Lake House. I'll give it a rather average rating.
3 stars

Casino Royale 007
I really did not want to watch this because the new Bond guy doesn't seem cool enough, but I watched it anyway to get my mind away from a certain depressing incident. Seriously, I think this movie is so overrated. If you mean it's good because of it's action scenes, Transporter is much better. Cool factor? Ocean's Eleven/Twelve wins hands down. Plot? It's so-so only. Romance? Zzz... Overall, this Bond is weak and horny. He's can't fight, he can't get his woman, and he always falls for his enemy's tricks. I don't know what he's good for. P/s: It sucks but still a whole lot better than MI 3. =X
3 stars.

The Covenent
I watched this in malaysia and surprisingly, it's categorised as a horror movie. I only knew about it after we bought the tickets. I thought it was a thriller! Anyways, it's too boring to be a horror movie. There are some scary scenes but probably not enough to make me scream.
3 stars

Flushed Away
Absolutely hilarious! After watching this, you'll love mice and slugs! They are wayyy too cute to be pests! LOL. There's a white mouse in the movie, who said he used to work in a laboratory for shampoo research. He used to be grey, and now he's white! Awww... poor thing!
4 stars

The Guardian
This movie is a lot nicer than I thought. I especially like the part where Ashton's character, Jake asked,"So, how many?", referring to the number of saves his mentor, Ben, a legendary hero made in his lifetime. That probably adds up to a few hundred saves. But Ben replied,"22." Jake was like thinking,"Huh? So little?" And Ben said,"22 is the number of lives I've lost. That's the only number I count." Ahh... the words of a true hero. *clapclapclap*
4 stars

The Inconvenient Truth
This is a documentary about global warming and maybe a bit of politcal issues. I like it being educational and thought-provoking, and although I definitely like Al Gore more than Mr Bush, I did not quite like the politcal part of the movie. Al Gore seems to be screaming,"You should've voted for me instead!" Ah well, I have never understood why the Americans voted for Bush anyways. But that isn't the main point. The main point is that our planet is suffering like crazy, and we've got to do something about it! I seriously recommend everyone to watch this. It's a little frightening but better to know than not. Ignorance is NOT bliss! For more information, go to www.climatecrisis.net. Help save the world!
4.5 stars

The Prestige
Starring Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, this movie is about 2 magicians who try to decipher each other's secrets to their ultimate magic trick (a magician's prestige). They end up jeopardizing the lives of their loved ones. The plot is quite unpredictable at times. It's not difficult to understand but it's made to be quite complicating as the scenes are not shown in chronological order. This is all about mind games and obession and self-sacrifice. Worth a watch. ;)
4 stars

Stormbreaker
This movie is something like Spykids. The lead actor (who is only a teenager) lives with an uncle (Ewan McGregor) who is a spy. His parents died when he was young and he doesn't know anything about his uncle's job until his uncle was assassinated. He discovers that his uncle has been training him since young, to take on his role as a secret agent. He is then assigned to take over his uncle's job to expose an evil plot. This movie is much better than Spykids (IMO). It's not too kiddish, not too unrealistic, it's got some cool stunts and most importantly, it's got cute actors. =D
3.5 stars

The Departed
The Departed is a Hollywood version of the Hong Kong movie Wu Jian Dao. As usual, Hollywood versions are never better. In this movie, Leonardo Dicarpio plays Tony Leung's role as the undercover cop, while Matt Damon plays Andy Lau's role as the undercover thug. There are a few differences between the movies. One of which is that the two leads have the same girlfriend instead of different ones in this movie. Leonardo's character comes across as someone who is stressed and panicky and fearful. This is unlike Tony Leung's character, who, despite the life-threatening circumstances, is cool and composed. Also, Leonardo used SMS to communicate with his superior while Tony used Morse code (which is obviously much cooler). Overall, the Hong Kong flick is still much better. I doubt there will be a sequel for the movie. Everyone dies in the movie. Kh says,"No wonder it's called The Departed." -_-"
3 stars

Rob-B-Hood
For once, Jackie Chan stars as a baddie. Well, not really. He's a baddie turned hero. And a baddie with "ethics" to begin with (how ironic). Anyway, finally we're getting something a little different from him this time. I'm soo sick of his police shows. This movie may not be as hilarious and exciting as some of his other movies, but it's still satisfactory. The baby's really cute!!! (Question: Why is Jackie Chan still getting all the young and pretty girls despite obvious signs of ageing?)
3 stars

World Trade Center
This is based on a true account by two survivors of the 911 incident. They are the 18th and 19th survivors out of 20, to be rescued from the twin towers. It's a really touching story, yet not too solemn as there are bits of humour injected into the script. As said in the movie, from this incident, you can see how evil humans can be, but you can also see the goodness overflowing from the hearts of people. Indeed. How true. This is good for personal reflections.
4 stars

Scoop
The only reason I wanted to watch this movie is because Hugh Jackman (hot!) stars in it (but too bad he's a mass murderer). And the only thing that has at least a tinge of humour is Woody Allen, who stars as a really really long-winded magician. He's funny that way, I guess. Otherwise, it's a rather boring show.
2.5 stars

You me & Dupree
Hah. Another Owen Wilson movie. As usual, there's only so much to his lame antics. Well, he's funny, but not hilarious. It's quite an OK comedy I guess.
3 stars.

Miami Vice
There's only one thing I like about this movie. The super cool speedboats!!! Ahhh!! I want one!! =X Other than that, there was nothing so appealing about that movie. Ok, yes, it's another police show, another action movie. What's more? Undefeatable FBI? SO HOLLYWOOD. It's like watching a channel 8 drama. It couldn't be more predictable. Anyway, I read a comment by a movie critic. She said that Gong Li's spanish sounds more fluent than her english. Hey she's right man! That was weird. She should make a spanish movie!
2.5 stars.

John Tucker Must Die
I love this movie. It's hilarious! LOL. I know it sounds really bimbotic. Somebody save me! =X
3.5 stars.

The Banquet
Eh pls lah! ANOTHER final-destination kind of movie?! I've been watching a lot of gruesome deaths lately (See no evil, Snakes on the plane, The host, and now this?!). I thought it was gonna be an artistic show. A cultural kind of thing. Turns out that it's about political conflicts during the Tang dynasty, where the royal family plotted to kill one another. You'll see a body cut into half and a head rolling on the floor. Eww. And since when did the royal family dress like that? I thought they always had a headdress on? What's up with the funny makeup anyway? It reminds me too much of Memoirs of the Geisha, except this looks too weird because the Chinese don't dress like that. The palace looks too fake due to poor graphics. The action scenes don't look too good either. A story of brutality, of selfish desires of the heart, and possibly true love. Rather heartwarming at times.
3.5 stars

The Host
I thought this movie is gonna be really frightening. I was a little hesistant to watch it at first, but went on to watch it anyway (in the afternoon). The weird thing is, it's actually more funny than scary. It seems like the point of the movie, is not so much to show the heroic acts of a father, but rather, to show how much destruction a government can cause by sheer negligence. A rather unpredictable movie. Worth a watch. ;)
3.5 stars

Little Man
Some of the jokes are really gross man. There was a lot of sexual humor, to the point where I felt nauseous. Okay, maybe I wasn't feeling too well yesterday (I had a long day at school and stress was creeping up due to exams). The movie's quite hilarious actually. But still, I'd rather have good clean jokes anytime. Sorry, this review is definitely bias.
3 stars

The devil wears prada
I thought this movie would be nice, but it's kinda below my expectations. If it's a comedy, it has to make me laugh, and I don't remember laughing. =.= Anyway, it has a rather ordinary plot about a girl who nearly sold her soul to the "devil" (her backstabbing boss). She gets to wear such nice clothes everyday though. =P~
2.5 stars

Monster House
Excellent graphics! So much so that it makes you feel a little scared. Haha.
3 stars

Snakes on the plane
Yet another gruesome movie. It's as if people can't get enough of Final Destination and they just have to produce another show like this. It shows you all the different and horrible ways one can die from snake bites. Also, it seems like those snakes love to make it even more excruciating by biting the vital parts of the human body. Ouch. >_< (Question: Why is it the baddies can smuggle a huge crate of snakes into the plane, but can't smuggle a tiny bomb in? o.O)
2.5 stars

Ant Bully
It's much more interesting than I thought. I didn't want to watch it initially because it looks so lame, but it's quite funny actually.
3 stars

See No Evil
This is all gore and violence. I really did not want to watch it but KH (again) assured me that it's not a horror movie.. it's a thriller. Well actually, anything that scares me is pretty much horror to me. Hmm... sadists will probably love it though. It's about a psychopath who goes round killing people and digging their eyeballs out to collect. Not recommended to watch after a heavy meal. =X
? stars ( I don't particularly like these kind of movies, so...)

My Super Ex-girlfriend
The rating says PG (some sexual humour). Some. I think there was A LOT of it. Erm, probably too much for PG. Anyway, it's not a bad show. Quite interesting actually.
3 stars

The Breakup
It's nice to watch because Jennifer Aniston's in it. Otherwise, bleah... The whole show is just about a couple quarrelling and doing childish stuff to spite each other. And I'm not sure if there's even an ending. Seems like it just stopped halfway. Are they getting back together or not? Hello? No answer. Probably not. Anyway...
2.5 stars

Click
This is really funny but the story is perhaps too ordinary. Guy gets stressed up, takes his life for granted, suddenly everything he wishes for comes true, and then it goes downhill, and he wakes up to realise it was all a dream... or was it? From then on, he learns to cherish the things he didn't before, and life goes on happily ever after... and so it goes. Probably serves as a wake-up call for some of us. Moral of the story is perhaps, "do not live your life with regret".
3 stars


The Lake House
A romantic comedy. Ah... well, it's quite funny and quite sweet, but DO NOT try to make any sense out of it. The plot is totally illogical. The more you think about it, the more confuse you become, so just try to forget the story after you watch it. I mean, this kind of movies can sometimes drive me crazy. I just had to find an answer to everything. =X If you don't know what I'm talking about, never mind. Sorry I'm blabbering. You know, just watch it, it's good.
3 stars.

Nacho Libre
This is as funny as School of Rock. Well, what do you expect? It's another Jack Black movie. LOL. I love it. He doesn't need to do much to make me laugh. He's funny even when he's serious. Haha! I especially like the part when his character, Libre, was forced to leave the monastery and retreat into the wilderness when he was caught wrestling. In the wilderness, he ate out of a cactus and made a home for himself in a ball of twigs (which provided neither shade nor shelter). Then, his wrestling partner came to find him and Libre asked,"How did you find me here?" And his partner replied,"Over there, I saw you from the village." And he pointed to 4 people who were standing in front of a house and waving at him. It was so funny. Just when I thought he really went to the wilderness, he was actually just a few metres away from the village. LOL! How corny can it get? =D
4 stars

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead man's chest
Eh it's a blockbuster and it's supposed to be nice. I watched the first part of the trilogy (the curse of the black pearl) and I didn't understand the story. Now I've watched the second part and I still don't quite understand or remember what happened before that. Not sure what to think of this movie. Oh well.
3 stars


Thank you for smoking
Hilarious! Hehe... Good for GP.
4 stars


The Fast and Furious: Toyko Drift
This is like Initial D with a lot of violence. Hmm... the racing part is nice. But it doesn't make me want to watch it again. =X
3 stars


Scary Movie 4
Lame show! I had quite a good laugh throughout. Especially the part with the tr-iPOD. LOL! The funniest part is definitely the exaggeration of the Tom-Cruise-couch-jumping incident. =D
3 stars


Superman Returns
I watched this at the Omni Theatre. Bad move. Such movies really aren't suitable for dome shape screens. It'll be so much better on flatscreen theatres. Anyway, I didn't understand what the show was about. It was so illogical. KH and I couldn't figure out why Superman can have his power one moment and suddenly lose his power in another moment. And all those stuff about crystals? It just doesn't make any sense. Argh. Of all superhero movies, I think Superman is the lamest. But I think it still deserves at least some credit for its graphics.
3 stars


Just my luck
Quite funny and ridiculous like any other regular comedies.
2.5 stars


Garfield 2
Unfunny, bland and boring. Just like I expected. Only watched it because there wasn't anything else better available.
2 stars.


Cars
I thought it was gonna be another lame animated movie. But this is a Disney-Pixar production. I should expect some standards. After hearing many good reviews on this, I went to watch it and I concluded that it was money well spent. Really worth watching. Funny, a little touching and very creative. Comes with a couple of catchy soundtracks too.
3.5 stars.


Slither
KH told me it's a comedy and finally persuaded me to watch with him. Somehow I ended up screaming more than laughing. I found out later on that it is a horror-comedy. Well, that means he's half-right. Gross, frightening and ridiculous. Not gonna watch again. =X
2 stars.


Xmen 3
A must-watch! Need I say more? Question: Why did Wolverine kill Jean Grey instead of injecting her with the "cure"? -_-"
There's a short clip at the end credits. Here's the link if anybody missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhsAxVIwFDQ
4.5 stars



4 comments:

  1. Hey babe, thanks for that compliment, it went down really well. :)

    Totally agree with the critics for the lake house. Good to soak into an almost impossible romance and forget the confusing episode. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ful, i juz realised that u linked my blog for movie critics. -_-" i was so shock man... but dunno why i keep laughing.. still laughing now. LOL..

    eh, it's not really "critics" la. LOL. i juz said what was on my mind. "critics" make it sound so.... professional? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha.... ok, fine! change it to "comments" instead. :) saying what's on your mind, isn't that good enough? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... U get to watch all those movies? I didnt even get to watch all of it. Haha!!! GV Vivo City is opening on e 7th OCT... Shd b a great experience i think")

    ReplyDelete