Sunday, December 26, 2010

China Trip: Shanghai

Once a city girl, always a city girl.

Among all the destinations I planned in my trip, I never thought that Shanghai will be my ultimate favourite. I've heard so many people say,"Shanghai is just another city." It's a city, it's boring, you can tour it around for 2 days and you're done with it. I get that.

For me, the experience of being in Shanghai was simply amazing. Here are several
reasons why:

The Metro
Shanghai has the world's largest metro network. It's a well-connected city. Trains run at super high frequencies, so less crowd in trains, less waiting as well. With the metro, there's little need for environmentally-unfriendly buses and cars. Furthermore, train tickets are incredibly cheap (as compared to Singapore).

The Architecture
The city amazes me with unique, jaw-droppingly awesome building architecture. Some buildings arouse curiosity and wonder, others display elegance and grandeur. Just walking along the streets admiring these buildings make my day.

The Bund
It probably wasn't as fancy before, but recent renovations to improve Shanghai's image for the World Expo event have made the Bund a comfortable place for a nice evening stroll, complete with fresh air and stunning views.

Eat, Shop, Play
I loved TaoBao City for the wholesale shopping. Nearby, along East Nanjing Road, plenty of shopping malls with big brand names line the path. Xintiandi, which resides in the French Concession incorporates upscale bars and restaurants into French colonial architecture. It's old meets new. Nostalgic yet refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment