Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Biggest Loser

After watching 5 seasons of The Biggest Loser, it's hard not to be influenced/inspired. Last year's backpacking trip kinda broke our gym-going momentum and the inertia to get started again was really high. Last Sunday, Kh and I finally made that step. I don't know what got over me, I just kept going on and on and on... I might even imagine Jillian yelling at me not to stop.

Did 3.2km on treadmill, completed fitness test on spin bike, followed by 60 ab crunches, cardio on stairmaster, 200 side jumps, 60 weight lifts on hamstrings, 100 on quads, 10 on biceps (and I'm ashamed of this), more cardio workout again on the new machine, and finally 12 laps at the swimming pool (the week before I did 50). All in all a 4-hour workout.

Even when I'm eating I'll mentally calculate how many calories I'm taking in. I'm choosing healthier alternatives. Low fat tuna mayo, low fat milk, wholemeal bread. I even followed Bob's advice to make your own breakfast and pack them in ziplock bags in the fridge, so you're good to go every morning- no excuses for eating rubbish.

A new discovery I made at the supermarket yesterday: I was choosing between low fat milk and the results of my analysis;
kCal per 100ml,
GreenFields- 44
DutchLady- 48
HL- 50
Marigold- 51

It was unexpected but I'm glad Greenfields is the winner because I love it!

Other tips by Bob and Jillian:
1) Keeping yourself hydrated at all times can help you to lose weight faster.
2) Never skip breakfasts as breakfasts set your metabolism rate for the day.
3) Starving yourself slows your metabolism rate.
4) Every pound of muscle you put on helps you to burn an extra 50kcal a day.
5) Avoid ingredients with high sodium as sodium retains water in your body. e.g. soy sauce
6) Choose nuts and berries over sweet fruits like mangoes for low calorie alternative.

I'm probably crazy to say this, but I looking forward to gym this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment