Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Top 10 interview questions

I used to wonder why I had to learn interview skills as part of my course requirement. I used to think interviewees are at the mercy of interviewers, and there isn't really a need to rack your brains trying to think of insightful questions to ask. But lately, I've begun to understand why. Interviewers are like representatives of the company. How they conduct themselves, the way they talk, the questions they ask, all reflect on the company itself.

Personally, I don't think I would wanna work for a company whose manager speaks like an ah beng, or a director who talks down to people. (Believe me, I've experienced both.) I think finding a job/employee should be a mutual thing. Both parties should respect each other. Even if the candidate/job is not suitable.

hmm. I think I've had my fair share of professional and not-so-professionally conducted interviews. Here's my own personal list of top 10 most commonly asked interview questions. Wonder if anybody experienced the same?

1. Do you have any questions?
Always the big winner. I don't think I've had any interviewer who hasn't asked this question. Hah. (Great tip from MC,"Always say yes!" Just ask something smart. ;) )


2. Tell me about yourself.
Usually the first question to be asked.

3. Do you see yourself in this role?
Usually asked after the interviewer has briefed you on the company/job dynamics.

4. How old are you this year?
Employees who ask this are obviously not prepared for the interview. Unless you haven't already stated your age/birthday in your resume. Which you so obviously should.

5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
I'm not complaining about this one.

6. Sell yourself to me- tell me why I should hire you.
I really hate this question. It sounds quite tactless, like I'm desperate for the job or something. It peeves me even more if it's a job that I'm not even interested in (you know, after listening to the briefing).

7. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
Not too fond of this question either. I believe it can be phrased in a more professional way.

8. What are your hobbies?
Hmm.... again not prepared for interview. Unless you haven't already stated in your resume also.

9. What is your greatest achievement in life?
I hate this question too. Because I can never answer it. Usually I just say whatever comes to my mind and try to make it sound "great". Lol. Seriously, even if you give me another year to think properly about this question, I still won't be able to answer it.

10. What are your parents' occupation?
Seriously? I think this question is really irrelevant. If there's a need to know about family background, then it should be phrased in a more professional and relevant way. But if my parents' jobs so happen to be relevant to the job scope at all, I'll usually elaborate further and say how such a background helps? So this question is only useful (at least to me) in certain situations. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment