Other links:
Vietnam 2008: In a Nutshell
Vietnam 2008: Ho Chi Minh City
Vietnam 2008: Cuchi
Vietnam 2008: Dalat
Day 4...
Our most value-for-money hotel in the whole trip! Only US$12/room/night. Located near the beach and popular shopping district.
Lunch at Pho Cali Restaurant as recommended by LP.

Only 30,000d for this set meal!
Then we booked our boat tour at Mama Linh's for the following day and then went to rent a bike to cycle around Nha Trang.
Mama Linh Boat Tours-- as recommended by Lonely Planet
Road side bike rental stall. Wait, it wasn't even a "stall". It was just 3 bikes and a banner. I think it cost 20,000d (S$1+) for half a day.
Hee, I took this while we were cycling.
Nha Trang Cathedral in French Gothic style
Took us more than an hour to find this place. =/
My poor camera trying so hard to absorb light. =( Really regretted not bringing my tripod along.
Angels guarding the entrance of the gate
Long Son Pagoda
Famous for its gigantic reclining buddha which resides at the top of the hill. Unfortunately, it was too dark for us to climb up even though it was only 6.30pm.
One woman tried to cheat us money by charging us "parking" fees for parking our bikes outside the pagoda. US$1 for parking! Crazy. Kh and I said no, and we went to park our bikes elsewhere.
Then we went hunting for a good dinner place. Most of the restaurants there are quite ex. As in, tourist prices. On the way, I saw a post office! It looks like a provision shop la. I wanted to send a postcard home just for fun, but the post office lady told me it would take 10 days to reach. So that's like pretty lame. I would've reached home by then. =/
the post office
And we saw this sign. Thought it is really funny. How can you be so sure you're the ONLY indian chef in Nha Trang?
Finally we found Khanh Kat. It's recommended in the LP guidebook for its hot pots, but Kh and I really really liked their set dinners. Only 70,000d (approx S$6.40) for soup, side dish, main course and dessert!
Nice ambience
Yum!
I was so satisfied with the service that I asked Kh to leave the waiter a tip. Kh left 4,000d, which is seriously like peanuts. I was kinda annoyed with him for being so stingy. I would've left at least a 5-figure sum (in dong of cuz) with a doubt!
Day 5...
We started off the day with Mama Linh's Boat Trip! It's a tour around 5 islands near Nha Trang beach. The package includes snorkelling at one of the islands, lunch, fruit party, and floating bar (whatever that means), and live performances. When we booked the tour, we weren't really sure what to expect. But as our experience prove it, Vietnamese people are really good with this tourism thingy. They could make something out of nothing. =/
Mama Linh Boat Trip!
Cable Car to Vinpearl Land
Civilisation
Giant turtles!
Super huge Awara fish. I never knew they could be so big!
View from the top
Another view
The whole "ship"


The crew members were at the back of the boat fishing while the others were at the side swimming! Eww. Our tour guide told us that they were fishing because they could not afford to buy rice (with the increase in price). I believe this is true, because I saw them ta-pau-ing our leftover lunch. Sad.

All the benches were adjusted to become 1 large table!
Floating bar!
So this is what it means.
Those of us who didn't go into the water were also offered a cup. Horrid wine. I quickly gulped it down to end my misery.
Fruit party!
Dragonfruit, watermelon, pineapple, longan and rambutan. Some of the angmohs weren't sure how to eat them. Lol.
Live performance by our tour guide. He also invited all of us to go onto the stage to dance. Kh and I refused! lol.
Thap Ba Hot Spring.
We tried the mineral mud bath. Includes 30mins in mud pool, 15mins in mineral water steam bath, unlimited time in mineral swimming pool, waterfall therapy and some water jet thingy. This is the most open spa I've ever been too. It was so weird bathing in public. It costs 350,000d for 2.
After which, we headed to the beach with the tripod that Jack lent me for some night photography.
Then we had seafood at a roadside BBQ place!


Mussels!
Beef Pho for supper!
I didn't expect it to be so run-down.
Leopard sharks!
Real Skeleton of a whale that was found in one of the beaches in Vietnam.
This looks like Harry Potter's Room of Mysteries. Lol. These are actually bottles and bottles of preserved sea creatures. I don't know why they wanna display it like that. They all looked the same, and I couldn't even see those on top!
Whale shark
Seacow
This is truly beach life to the max!
We did our massage here.
Yummy cakes!
She was quite pitiful. She was sick and yet she was working hard.
All these for only 150,000d.
Swackhammer: our tour guide's band! They come here to perform at night when they are done with their tour jobs.
Dinner at Khanh Kat again!
Blackout!
Again, I asked Kh to tip and he tipped a very miserable amount. I said,"You wanna tip like that you might as well don't tip! So embarrasing!"
Then we went to the train station to get to Hue. Didn't manage to get tickets for the soft berth (first class, soft bed, 4 persons/cabin). Apparently there are only 28 of these tickets for sale. So we ended up taking the hard berth (hard bed, 6 persons/cabin). I'm glad we didn't manage to get the soft berth. We saved a lot of money and also got to experience the Vietnamese way of life. Because if we were to sleep in the soft berth, we would most likely share the cabin with caucasian backpackers (as the Vietnamese cannot afford).
The train station
The corridor
These men boarded the train at HCMC and were going to Hanoi. That was gonna take more than a day on the train!













No comments:
Post a Comment