Saturday, September 30, 2006

Backpacker's Tales: China, Dali

I went to China about 3 years ago on an overseas community project to build toilets for some villagers up on the mountain, and to educate the children on good toilet habits. I haven't shown anybody these photos (other than my family members) yet, so I thought I'll just post them here.

Disclaimer:
These photos have not been digitally enhanced. What you see is what you get (or maybe more). =D

the sunrise

the sunset

the Chang Jiang

Transportation:
This is how we travel from mountain to mountain. On a very old pick-up! There were 16 of us standing behind, holding on to the metal bars. It was really scary. The road was only wide enough for 1 vehicle, there were no road barriers, and the metal bars were shaky! A teammate fell off before. Thankfully, he was alright.

the marketplace

on board Thai airways
the domestic flight (China Eastern) from Kunming

this is where we have our meals and recreational activities


watching the villagers demonstrate the technique of sand sifting

helping an old lady deshell spices during our free time

de-corning the corn (to be fed to the pigs)

the technique of cement-mixing

land clearing (manual)

the high school!

look at the stuff they learn! the school toilet

a game of chess in the freezing night



The hot spring


the cruise ship

Seagulls!

No comments:

Post a Comment